Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Testing my patience...

I adore my son, 100%.  Boy, there are days when he pushes my patience to the limit.  Today, must be one of those days.  First off, we've always had the weight thing to deal with - he's now doing relatively well with it but they doctors still want him to gain more - I really don't get this, he's catching up nicely and there are kids a year older than him who barely weigh 5 lbs more...seriously, how big does this kid need to be?  So, today, he hasn't been eating much for me...go figure.  He barely ate breakfast, ate a great amount of yogurt at lunch but then threw the rest of his food on the floor.  He's doing well with his bottles but fighting the sippy cup.  I don't know what to do!!!  I want him to come off the bottles and onto sippy cups but at this rate, he's going to be taking those bottles to college with him!  I've got some pretty thin patience today...can't figure out why but am rather discouraged.  I'm a worrier and I am constantly worrying about him.  I don't know how to not worry even though overall, he's catching up on most everything.  Why can't he be a little small...he's well porportioned and doing all the other things he's supposed to...does he need to be fat too?

1 comment:

  1. You can request a nutrition eval through First Steps. they will come out and tell you exactly what his caloric intake is and if his size is normal for him or how much bigger he should be. Sometimes doctors look at the height growth curve separate from the weight growth curve, when there is a 3rd one which is height to weight curve. I've had nutritionist tell me that the height to weight is more important. Also I know as long as his weight percentile and height percentile match/are close (so like 50% for both or 30% for weight and 40% for height) then things are okay. It is when they don't match (90% for height and 15% for weight) do doctors get concerned. My sister was a pip-squeak and didn't gain weight well (diagnosed failure to thrive as an infant), and she is more than fine now. Also it is not uncommon for a kid who drinks pedisure to not eat as much. They figure out pretty quick that hmm, eat food or drink a milk shake, ummm milk shake! As an OT doing feeding (and this is a perception shared by many pediatric feeding therapists) we understand the need to increase weight, but pedisure can really mess the eating up!!!!

    With the sippy cup, when was the last time you bought new nipples? Sometimes kids really like the old bottle nipples so when you change to new ones they will drop the bottle quick. We also don't expect kids to take a cup until they are about a year which he isn't there yet adjusted so that could be why he's a little slower. Could always try to do just the cup and not offer bottles for a couple hours and see what happens.

    Hang in there, he is doing great so you can relax until he hits two and starts with the little mr. independent thing!!!

    ReplyDelete