Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blood pressure and contractions?...

We started off planning on having a nice relaxing weekend here at home.  Spending time with family and trying to work on the baby's room.  Unfortunately, none of that happened...Saturday morning, I had some high blood pressure readings, the bottom number was into the 90s consistently.  We weren't sure what was going on, so I called my OB and he wanted me to come to the hospital for observation.  So, we got a bag together and called the grandparents to see if they'd watch Jack.  I went straight to high risk(familiar territory) and they got me settled into a room.  I was hooked up to the fetal monitor and started on a 24 hour urine test.  The first blood pressure reading they took was within normal range - go figure!  Turns out though, I was even having some small contractions...strange, didn't even know it.  The plan was to monitor me for 24 hours to rule out preecclampsia, we can't be too cautious with my history.  Thankfully, my blood pressure was normal the entire time, I had bathroom priveledges, so I was at least allowed to get up out of bed for that.  I had a few more contractions over the course of the 24 hours, thankfully they weren't strong enough to cause dilation but I definitely figured out when I had at least one and my nurse confirmed it.  It was interesting and at least now I know what a contraction is. 
Once my 24 hour urine test was complete, I was allowed to head home.  I spent most of Sunday afternoon relaxing at home and was very happy to see my little boy again!!  He had an enjoyable time with Grandma and Grandpa Albright.  I went to see my OB on Monday morning, my 24 hr test came back fine, I lost 2lbs from last Friday's appointment (so I'm not retaining extra fluid), and my BP monitor actually runs high compared to the numbers they got by using the normal method of checking BP.   
The plan for the next 4 weeks, work my 2 afternoons a week oupatient(through the first week in May), work my at home job as much as I can, see the OB 2x/week, relax as much as possible, be thankful that Jack's grandmas are willing to come help out which allows me to be off my feet and get them up.  If we can get through the next 4 weeks without anything major going on, then we have hit 37 weeks and this little man can come at any time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment