Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hmm...pumping...

So, I think the time has come for me to be finished - pumping that is.  I started this for Jack the day after he was born and was very diligent about it until last month when I noticed the supply dwindling.  I went down to 1x/day around Jack's 6mo birthday and yesterday I decided to see what would happen if I didn't pump at all - I was only getting about 2oz/pumping, way different from earlier when it was more like 10oz/pumping.  After sitting here this morning for the last half hour, I'm realizing that it's time to quit.  This has been very important for me because Jack has never received anything but my milk - he has had a gut of steel because of it.  Once his surgery is over tomorrow and he starts eating again, we'll have all of March and April's milk for him to take, plus he'll be starting foods soon and I'm going to start making 1-2 of his feedings during the day be formula so he can get used to it and it won't be such a shock when the time comes to fully switch. 
I had a goal when I started this - make it 6 months - I've made it longer - almost 7, so I think I've done my job and hopefully it's been the best thing for Jack!


Tomorrow is the big day - I can't wait for him to be tube free and get to start eating again!  We have noticied him watching us eat and I think he's definitely interested and looking forward to eating again!! 
Keep us in your thoughts and hope for positive things tomorrow!! :)

1 comment:

  1. You will be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend. Keep us posted on Jack's progress.

    ReplyDelete