Friday, March 19, 2010

Therapy...

Jack had his First Steps Eval today - I wasn't sure what they were going to be looking for this morning.  I am an OT but I have worked with adults for the past 2 years, so I really don't know much in regards to the peds world, especially preemies (except for Jack).  Turns out, Dustin and I have been doing some things right and there are still some things we need to work on with Jack.  Here's what they said...

 - Cognitively he is doing great and probably close to his actual age - yay!!  That's a good thing, he's been smiling and making noises and has different types of cries (hunger, mad, etc) and he showed his mad cry and his hunger cry while the therapists were here today. 

- Movement, Jack likes to move, he's a busy boy.  He moves his arms and legs a ton when he's on his back and we always thought this was a good thing...turns out he is working on body awareness when he does that.  They want us to work on continued flexion with him - keeping him swaddled, tummy time with legs and arms underneath him, sidelying while flexed.  We also have to work on bending his elbows and knees - he still likes being in extension and they want him in flexion...we have a bunch to work on, but I think he can do it! 

3 comments:

  1. So glad Jack is doing well. I love the updates and the new pics on the blog. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear. It means so much to me to keep up with that little cash danger. Long way from the first family picture, right? Love you guys and miss you. My new family is NUTS!!!!! Can you just come hang out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He can do it! You two will be able to work with Jack and he'll come along fine - look how far he has come already! I love reading good news.

    ReplyDelete